- Understanding the causes of structural poverty as opposed to transitory poverty or increased vulnerability to becoming poor.
- The impact of shocks on transitory poverty for individuals, households and communities.
- The role of access to social networks or social capital in potentially overcoming some of the deficiencies of markets.
- The interaction between one-way and two-way (oscillating) migration and poverty and inequality.
- The inter-generational transmission of poverty.
The Mellon Foundation renewed the original grant made in 2001 (which was reported on in the previous SALDRU review) with a further amount of $300 000 in 2004 to cover the period 2004/5 to 2006/7. The committee appointed to oversee the award decided to commission individual reports on poverty and migration in each of the nine provinces between census years 1970 and 2001.
- Dudley Horner
- Francis Wilson
- Murray Leibbrandt
Papers and Publications
- Shackleton, C., Timmermans, H., Nongwe, N., Harmer, N. and Palmer. R. (2004) “Direct Use Values of Non-Timber Forest products at Ntubeni and Cwebe on the Transkei Wild Coast” Rhodes University, Institute for Social and Economic Research Research Report No. 12.
- Lund, F. and Ardington, C. (2006) “Employment Status, Security and the Management of Risk: a study of workers in Kwamsane, KwaZulu-Natal“. SALDRU Working Paper 02.
- van Wyk, S. and Wilson, D. (2006) “Utilisation of Commonages for Sustainable Tourism Opportunities for the poor in Namaqualand, South Africa” SALDRU Working Paper No. 04.
- Yu, D. and Nieftagodien, S. (2007) “Poverty and Migration: Evidence from the Khayelitsha/Mitchell’s Plain Area” SALDRU Working Paper No. 11.
- Hunter, N. (2005) “An Assessment of How Government’s Care Policy is working in Practice: Findings from KwaZulu-Natal” University of KwaZulu-Natal, School of Development Studies Working Paper No. 42.
- Mfono, Z., Ndlovu, P., Mlisa., L. and Duma, S. (2008) “Directional trends in rural poverty in the Eastern Cape Province: Changes during the first ten years of South African democracy” Development Southern Africa 25 (1).
- Braathen, E. and Khandlela, M. (2005) “Local Politics of Conflict: The Transformation of a township in Durban/eThekwini” Presented at NFU Annual Conference, Norway, June.
- Duncan M. (2006) “Chronic Poverty: occupation as the catalyst for change” 14th International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Sydney.
- Fourie, M. (2006) “Poverty, Disability and Occupation: The Occupations of Chronically Poor Women” International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Sydney.
- Watson, R. (2006) “Poverty, Disability and Occupation” International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Sydney.